CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Saturday, October 18, 2008

Our Garden

Trever heard about a gardening technique called “square foot gardening,” and wanted to give it a try. This is his project, so I’ve let him pretty much do it all himself. He has gotten Liberty pretty excited about it too, which is fun! First, Trever & I my dad constructed a 4’x 4’ garden box. Then Trever mixed up the “secret” soil and planted a bunch of seeds, and a few starter plants donated by his mom. He also rigged up a drip system to water it. He had Liberty “help” plant the seeds, and told her how the whole planting process works. I’m not exactly sure what he planted, but I think there is lettuce, carrots, peas, radishes, etc. We are looking forward to planting tomatoes and other vegetables after winter, too. Since they finished planting the garden, every few days Trever takes Liberty out to check the progress. Then they come back inside and Liberty reports everything to me. She tells me that the plants are "grow-ving," and there are some “baby ones” and “big ones.” She gets SO into it, and uses her hands to explain it all to me. She usually tells me about how they planted the seeds, watered them, and then that they are growing. Hopefully we’ll be able to eat our own homegrown vegetables one of these days!




PS Do you think Trever is ready for a new hat?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

What is the "secret soil" that he used?

Tassi Smith said...

That is what we have in our backyard. We have three 4x4 boxes. I want to build more. Did you buy the book?